Friday 10 January 2014

Organizing 101: Where Do I Start?

This year, my one and only New Year's Resolution is to organize our house.  I'm talking top to bottom, leaving no space unturned!  I am having a HUGE bout of nesting this week and I have done not too much about it!  I have been taking on little tasks here and there (I organized and decluttered a utensil drawer in the kitchen, and I created a family organization station to control the paper piles that seem to always form on my kitchen island.  

I feel happy to have completed those little tasks, but I think if I'm going to conquer this job then I need to make a game plan and do some BIG jobs.  I'm going to break it down by room, and then by task I think. This way, I can tackle every corner of the house with a purpose and get things done!





This afternoon's task is going to be the boys' room. Our two oldest share a room and its absolutely crazy in there right now.  There are clothes everywhere, the closet looks like a nightmare, and their reading nook shelves keep falling off the wall on one side.  (Falling off or getting pulled down I'm still not sure...)

Boys' Room

Clothes  
-  organize and separate
-  downsize 
-  donate

Reading Nook
-fix fallen shelves
-set up table & chairs
-downsize book collection

Bunk Bed Drawers
-find out what's in there
-organize into functional storage
-label

Closet
-find out what's in there
-organize and separate hanging clothes
-clear out top shelf (How many blankets do we really need??)
-clear out bottom & use toy box effectively


I'm starting this at nap time, which is in about 4 minutes.  Wish me luck & I'll keep you posted on the progress!

Hopefully over the weekend I can get a start on the little guy's bedroom!  Fingers crossed!

I'm really hopeful that by setting out a list like this will be an effective way of getting this task done, and I hope it motivates me!

No comments:

Post a Comment